Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Stockholm II

This is an overdue account of how Stockholm was.

If ever I had to recommend a city to visit in Scandinavia, I would recommend Stockholm. I will be able to confirm this after my trip to Copenhagen, Denmark next year.

When I told my classmates that I was going to Stockholm, the general impression they gave me was that Stokholm was a "real city" (unlike Oslo). After my trip, I now understand what they mean.

While Stockholm has many beautiful historical buildings and museums, it at the same time has all the bustle and energy of a big city (the malls reminded us of home).

Bjorg and I both agree that the people were really nice and friendly and they all spoke excellent English. We may be wrong but we have also noticed that Swedish women are generally smaller than their Norwegian counterparts.

We didn't take any pictures of the malls or the main shopping street but here's a picture of the town square of the old city. The old city was built on an islet in a river and is completely surrounded by water.


After having visited Stockholm, I must say that one of the best things about Oslo is how close it is to Stockholm. The overnight bus ride was under 8 hrs and cost us about US$25 one way!

We have since discovered that Oslo is not just close to Stockholm but also to many other cities in Europe. We will be heading of to Budapest in January and Berlin in February.

We take only the cheapest flights/buses. Our motto as students is that there's nothing too cheap for us. Our return tickets to Berlin (excluding taxes) for two comes to a grand total of 12 NOK which is about US$2!

Stay tuned for our updates on our future trips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home